Re: [hatari-users] hatariui

On 11/20/2017 12:46 PM, Vincent Rivière wrote:
On 19/11/2017 at 23:20, Eero Tamminen wrote:
Could you try attached patch, to see whether it changes anything?

Sorry, I just wanted to see how Hatari UI looked like.

In that case, please take a look at the "hatariui" shell script,
there are couple of examples at the end of it for changing
the Hatari UI layout & contents.

(One can trivially specify what are the buttons around
Hatari window and create toolbars with buttons that
e.g. inject arbitrary text strings to Hatari.)

Btw. My main use-cases for Hatari UI were related to mobile devices
(Nokia Linux tablets and N900 phone decade and more ago):

* Allowing text input to Hatari on devices which don't have
 (full) keyboard as SDL doesn't support OS input methods, but
  Gtk does
* Being able to stop Hatari completely (SDL has constant CPU activity,
  it's never idle), which was important on battery powered devices
* GUI-wise fitting better to Gtk based desktops than the SDL GUI

I guess nowadays that Android is so pervasive on mobile devices,
Hataroid is rather what people would use on them, so Hatari UI
is relegated more to desktops...

The official package works fine on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Xenial Xerus, that's enough for me.
I filed bugs in Debian for newer versions, even if it was beyond my needs.
For my part, I will stop here.

Ok, thanks for all the testing, and reporting of your findings!

Hopefully somebody else will check the patch later. :-)

	- Eero