Re: [hatari-devel] Next Hatari version for OS X

> On 2015-06-30, at 14:53, Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I don't say we should not use opengl, I just say we will not add support for it in the SDL1 backend.
>
> Some OSes don't have SDL2, so SDL1 will stay for a while, but no more actively maintained by us I guess.

I see, I was just confused by your statement. The SDL2 support in the rendering is mainly #ifdef inside screen.c and is only for setting up SDL using the different APIs. So right now there is more or less only one rendering path that is used for both SDL1.2 and SDL2. Implementing OpenGL rendering will, as it is now, affect both SDL1 and SDL2 builds.

My plan is to add an abstraction layer for rendering API, so OpenGL can be switched on/off, at least in compile time. This is more or less what I have done already, except I totally removed the old no-GL code. Done right, the first step would be to add the abstraction layer, and get it to work with the current rendering backend. Then the OpenGL rendering will be easy to get in there without messing up too much.

There are some caveats though. The UI code needs to be updated to not render to a global SDL surface. Also the 8bit graphics mode might have to be removed.

/Mikael