Re: [hatari-devel] Next Hatari version for OS X

On 2015-06-30, at 14:36, Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2015-06-30, at 04:43, Bob Carpenter <hatari@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I briefly tried both Hatari versions. I found the video on the Hatari Falcon version incredibly slow when using TOS 4.04. I assume it has something to do with SDL 1.x and OS X. I tried it in a window and full screen and it was too slow to be usable either way. However, if I used TOS 1.04 with the Hatari Falcon executable, it ran at a normal speed.

The SDL rendering is infamously slow. As an experiment I did a few month ago, I replaced the current rendering in Hatari with an OpenGL backend. The CPU consumption decreased from around 40% when running an STE fullscreen demo, to around 10%.

It would be awesome to get this into Hatari some time in the future. Maybe for release 2.0, Hatari goes OpenGL. :)

Hi

SDL1 should be consider deprecated, there's no more dev to maintain it.

We will switch to SDL2 later, then all patches/testing will be wellcomed, but we won't add code to Hatari for related to OSX using SDL 1.3, SDL2 is the way to go.

Nicolas

I totally agree with you. However switching to OpenGL will have benefits for SDL2 as well, like post processing to emulate different displays like SainT (http://leonard.oxg.free.fr/SC1425/SC1425.html). My OpenGL backend worked for both SDL1.2 and SDL2.

Will SDL1.2 support be removed from the code be removed once the SDL2 build is up to par on all platforms?

(Sorry for hijacking thread)

/Mikael