Re: [proaudio] Some early questions

On 5/15/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 5/15/06, Thomas Kuther <gimpel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2006 12:24:00 +0200
> SteelRage <keywiz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
> > > source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf
> > >
> > > - Mark
> > >

> > I did something like this on may make.conf:
> >
> > PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
> > PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} /usr/local/portage"
> > PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} /usr/local/portage-proaudio"
> >

> > Where portage-proaudio is the name I gave to the overlay directory.
> > Hope this can help
> >
> > Steel
> >

> Yeah, maybe eix can't handle a sourced external overlay list.
> So Mark, use the "SVN directly" method and edit your make.conf like
> Steel showed it. Hope it works with eix then.
>
> Tom

But it isn't only eix that's having a problem. I cannot emerge a
pro-audio overlay application even when I know it's name.

It seems to me there's a fundamental problem here somewhere. I don't
see why the overlay doesn't honor the existing PORTDIR_OVERLAY item
sicne that's where I've already decided to put things. Anyway I'll try
changes with the make.conf file sometime later today.

Thanks,
Mark

OK, I changed make.conf much like Steel showed:

PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} /usr/local/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} /usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio"
source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf

It works and I do see the pro-audio apps now:

lightning ~ # eix ardour2
* media-sound/ardour2-cvs [2]
    Available versions:  ~1
    Installed:           none
    Homepage:            http://ardour.org/

[1] /usr/local/portage
[2] /usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio

Found 1 matches
lightning ~ #

However, it now seems incorrect to source the second makefile as it
appears to be doing, or trying to do, what the changes Steel & I did
to our make.conf files directly:

lightning ~ # cat /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="$PORTDIR_OVERLAY
/usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio"
lightning ~ #

I'm also unlear why the line in layman/make.conf should be on two
lines, but that's a minor matter.

So, good news: I can try building a few of the apps from your work. THANKS!

Cheers,
Mark