Re: [proaudio] Some early questions

Hi Mark

On Sun, 14 May 2006 12:24:06 -0700
"Mark Knecht" <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I've been watching your messages over the last couple of weeks
> about the Pro Audio overlay for Gentoo. It's great that someone has
> taken on this task for the Gentoo community. Thanks very much.
>
>    I'd like to get a couple of questions answered:
>
> 1) I've not used an overlay under Gentoo. Does it fall into line with
> tools like eix and all the standard portage databases?

eix will also index the overlay into its database, no problem.

> 2) If I have trouble with it what is the process to remove it and all
> apps only supported by it?

same as normal portage: emerge --unmerge foo

or run a small bash-loop that does cat the 00-PACKAGE-LIST like

$ for i in `cat 00-PACKAGE-LIST`; do emerge -C $i; done
(just a brainstormed idea)

forther more delete the overlay, e.g.
$ rm -r /usr/local/overlays/proaudio
or wherever you've put it.
layman makes it even more easy:
$ layman -d pro-audio
and it's gone

you can also temporary disable it by commenting it out in make.conf

>    I want to investigate the overlay, but I've had problems in the
> past with things like this under Fedora. They get started and run
> great for awhile, but then the well intentioned folks who started run
> out of energy to support it and the overlay/repository falls into
> disrepair. When this happened under FC3 it caused me no end of
> problems.

...and new people come and continue it :)

>    Again, please don't take my message as negative. I think what you
> are doing is really great.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

HTH,
Tom

PS: ..which reminds me of a small FAQ on the wiki for wuestions like
that ;)