Re: [proaudio] Some early questions

Tom,
  Thanks for the response. It's helpful.

  I am almost ready to give it a try. Please keep in mind that I am
NOT and IT person. Maybe my question below is missing something
stupid?

  The only question I've run into in reading this afternoon has to do
with where the overlay goes. The wiki page shows:

echo "source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf" >> /etc/make.conf

  However my current make.conf has:

PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage

I have layman emerged as per the first line in the wiki setup:

mark@lightning ~ $ eix -I layman
* app-portage/layman
    Available versions:  0.9.2
    Installed:           0.9.2
    Homepage:            http://projects.gunnarwrobel.de/scripts

Found 1 matches
mark@lightning ~ $

However I don't (yet) have anything located at usr/portage/local, much
less local/layman, etc.

What might I be doing wrong?

  Or is this source command telling make.conf itself to source
another file called layman/make.conf which comes, some how, after the
3rd or 4th step?

Thanks,
Mark

On 5/14/06, Thomas Kuther <gimpel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Mark

On Sun, 14 May 2006 12:24:06 -0700
"Mark Knecht" <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I've been watching your messages over the last couple of weeks
> about the Pro Audio overlay for Gentoo. It's great that someone has
> taken on this task for the Gentoo community. Thanks very much.
>
>    I'd like to get a couple of questions answered:
>
> 1) I've not used an overlay under Gentoo. Does it fall into line with
> tools like eix and all the standard portage databases?

eix will also index the overlay into its database, no problem.

> 2) If I have trouble with it what is the process to remove it and all
> apps only supported by it?

same as normal portage: emerge --unmerge foo

or run a small bash-loop that does cat the 00-PACKAGE-LIST like

$ for i in `cat 00-PACKAGE-LIST`; do emerge -C $i; done
(just a brainstormed idea)

forther more delete the overlay, e.g.
$ rm -r /usr/local/overlays/proaudio
or wherever you've put it.
layman makes it even more easy:
$ layman -d pro-audio
and it's gone

you can also temporary disable it by commenting it out in make.conf

>    I want to investigate the overlay, but I've had problems in the
> past with things like this under Fedora. They get started and run
> great for awhile, but then the well intentioned folks who started run
> out of energy to support it and the overlay/repository falls into
> disrepair. When this happened under FC3 it caused me no end of
> problems.

...and new people come and continue it :)

>    Again, please don't take my message as negative. I think what you
> are doing is really great.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

HTH,
Tom

PS: ..which reminds me of a small FAQ on the wiki for wuestions like
that ;)