Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari and OUTSIDE (virtual memory manager)

Le 08/10/2018 à 19:11, Uwe Seimet a écrit :
Hi,

did you try outside too ?

OUTSIDE is very instable, crashes the system very often. Considering
that OUTSIDE make much more use of the PMMU than ROMSPEED does, it's
unlikely that OUTSIDE will work when ROMSPEED does not.

I think I already asked this, but no one responded: Is the PMMU
emulation actually complete, including function codes, master stack pointer,
stack frames etc.? How has the emulation been tested?

I checked again the image you posted with the current devel version, and
there's no crash anymore :
I run outconf.app, it prompts me for the location of outside.prg, I
select the one in auto/ , then an config window appears. Then I press OK
and go back to desktop without any crash.

Is there anything more to check ? Should I enter some specific values in
the config window ?

Yes, in the config window (texts should be in French with a French TOS)
you select your swap drive, page size etc. After configuring OUTSIDE.PRG
you have to launch it. OUTCONF is just for configuring, not for enabling
virtual memory. The properly configured OUTSIDE is what has to be
started. (Not necessarily from the AUTO folder.)

Hi,

I think that's what I do and there's no crash :
 - start outconf.app
 - it shows "c: 0" and "d: 98" (selected)
 - page size 8 KB
 - virtual mem = 96 MB
 - alt mem = 2 MB

So basically, I leave all the settings to their default and press OK (I think those are the settings you created when building this outside.img ?) Then on next boot, outside.prg is correctly started. This is what I get during boot :

SCSI devices:
  Unit 0 - DEBUG: raw_scsi: selected scsi id mask (01)
DEBUG: raw_scsi: selected non-existing id 0
DEBUG: raw_scsi: selected non-existing id 0
Not responding
ACSI devices:
  Unit 0 - Hatari  EmulatedHarddisk
  Unit 1 - Not responding
BOOTLOADED
DEBUG: MMU disabled PC=01000a4e
DEBUG: 68030 MMU enabled. Page size = 8192 PC=01000a78

Gestion de la memoire virtuelle OUTSIDE V3.51 installe
C 1991-2000 Uwe Seimet
RAM virtuelle sur lecteur D: 96  Moctets

From there, what should I do to check the virtual memory ? Start a program that needs a lot of RAM ? If I just open C from the desktop displayed from outside.img, there's no problem.

At what point do you get crash / unstability in your case ?