Re: [hatari-devel] MEMWATCH freezes Hatari

Le 09/10/2018 à 22:11, Uwe Seimet a écrit :
Hi,

As you have probably noticed I am digging out some programs that can
help to test the PMMU emulation. Next one is MEMWATCH, binary and source
see attachments. Details in German are available in ST Computer 12/91. Also
this article is not (yet) available on http://www.stcarchiv.de/stcomputer.php.

MEMWATCH is kind of a memory protection light. It write-protects the TEXT
segment of any program that is started. If there is any write access in
user mode to the protected memory area there is a sound as a warning signal.
Write access in supervisor mode is permitted, otherwise TOS wouldn't be able
to on-the-fly replace MOVE SR by MOVE CCR. The offending software is not
terminated, but the offending write access is simply repeated in supervisor
mode. So you only get a warning signal and the program continues as usual.

 From what I have learned so far I tried to configure Hatari in the most
compatible way, i.e. enabled MMU, cycle exact and prefetch mode. ST-RAM size
is 4 or 8 MB, TT-RAM size 16 MB.
When MEMWATCH is the only program in the AUTO folder or when I simply start
it from the desktop Hatari freezes. This time Ctrl-C for killing Hatari
still works.
Note that MEMWATCH changes the GEMDOS trap vector. I'm not sure whether
this might cause special problems with Hatari.

Hi

well, bad news, but it doesn't crash for me :(

I run with default setting and TT tos or with your config file, just setting RAM to 8 MB :

../hatari -c ../my_tests/hatari_uwe.cfg -d /others/ST/D --machine tt --tos ~/Emul/ST/tos/tos306fr.img -s 8 --ttram 16 --mmu on --addr24 off --cpu-exact on --compatible on

then I run memwatch.prg which I copied in my gemdos HD directory and it prints :

MEMWATCH V1.0 installiert
C 1991 by Uwe Seimet

From there, I can't see any crash. Is it supposed to crash immediately or only when running another program after that ?