Re: [hatari-devel] Screenshots in NEO format

Le 18/01/2024 à 14:04, Brad Smith a écrit :
On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 3:22 AM Thomas Huth <th.huth@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:th.huth@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     > On 17.1.2024 3.02, Brad Smith wrote:
     >> The NEO format seemed to have a header that specifies dimensions
    of the
     >> picture, resolution (low/medium/high), and a 16-colour palette,
    followed by
     >> a 32k dump of screen data. The original NEOChrome program itself
    only works
     >> with 320x200x4bpp images, however.
     >>
     >> So, the question becomes what to do with the other screen modes
    available
     >> for STE/TT/Falcon. My thought was rather than dumping nothing,
    or something
     >> incomplete, just include the missing information in a benign way.

    Dumping something that cannot be read by any known application
    (AFAIK) does
    not make much sense, does it? So I agree with Nicolas here to omit
    the code.

I feel the situation has been drastically misunderstood.

The code that was omitted from the patch integration was not ONLY for screenshots that could not be represented in the NEO format, it was primarily written to make relevant old-format compliant screenshots work for ST Hires, as well as TT and Falcon mode screenshots that use ST-compatible low/medium/high resolutions. These all could be read by existing tools. NEOChrome itself cannot read medium or high resolution, but there are several other tools that can read this kind of NEO file.

Because this code to handle those was omitted, these relevant cases will produce NEO files with empty screens in the current version. This is a flaw that should be corrected.

[...]

Hi

I committed more changes to Hatari regarding .NEO screenshot.

I merged part of other Brad's patches to support TT and Falcon modes (with their palette) but with additionnal checks that only ST/STE compatible resolutions can be saved in .NEO format (ie 320x200, 640x200 and 640x400).

If not, a warning message will be displayed.

The request by user for a .NEO format was to used the captured files on real ST/STE, so I think it's better to keep the use of the .NEO format to only ST/STE compatible resolution, not allowing TT or Falcon higher resolution/bpp to be stored in this format.

I agree it could be useful to have a format to save the content of the video memory for any video mode but then it should be a dedicated format, not to be mixed with .NEO or .PI1 by extending their "meaning" (maybe .IFF would be more appropriate for this)

Also I added "--screenshot-format" option to choose between "png", "bmp" or "neo" (defaut is "png" if libpng is available, else "bmp")

I will have a look at the SDL UI to add similar option in the "Screen" menu