Re: [hatari-devel] HDC code update patch

Am Mon, 14 Mar 2022 20:21:45 +0100
schrieb Uwe Seimet <Uwe.Seimet@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> Please see my last posting, which overlaps with yours.
>
> > PS. I would not be opposed to Hatari moving to GitLab (if it still has
> > free accounts) or GitHub.  If others feel the same, I guess we could
> > consider migrating, but that's longer process.
>
> I would appreciate that, because github or gitlab are quite common nowadays.
> I started with github, but then I needed a docker image repository, which
> was only offered for free by gitlab. (At least at the time I needed it.)
> As a result I now have some github repos and also some gitlab ones ;-).

github is more common, I guess, but it also has the big disadvantage that
you might suffer a bad vendor lock-in experience here one day. gitlab is
(mostly) free software instead, and there are also other public instances
beside gitlab.com nowadays (e.g. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/), so I'd
rather prefer gitlab if we ever migrate somewhere else. But I think at
least on gitlab.com, new account owners have to provide a credit card number
nowadays to be able to use the CI (to proof that they are a real person and
not an automatically created crypto coin miner account).

Anyway, tuxfamily.org certainly still has the way cooler domain name :-)
(and other cool features like mailing lists).

> Regarding the migration process, how complicated it ist may depend on the
> system you are migrating from. I migrated several repositories from svn long
> ago, and this was quite straightforward, because there are tools doing this
> for you, and the commit history, branches and tags are all preserved.

Migrating a git repository from one server to another is not a big deal,
it's decentralized anyway. It's even way less pain than migrating a CVS or
SVN repository.