Re: [hatari-devel] SDL1 vs. SDL2 sound pausing

Le 10/09/2016 à 18:39, Thomas Huth a écrit :

Not sure, but in case there are just some few samples missing, I think
the memset-to-zero will cause audible disturbing noises, while the
duplication might hide the missing samples quite well...
I guess this needs some tests to be done to see what's the best
approach here... any volunteers?

whether the ST play YM sound at that time or it's an STE playing DMA sample, I don't think the result will sound better than inserting '0' bytes. You will have an audible change in the audio output.

If we have a 20 KB buffer and we duplicate 10 KB of data, I don't think it will give a nice result. In fact, I don't see the logic of duplicating existing data to create missing data. I'm not sure that playing non-null data is better and less audible than inserting null bytes (especially in the case where the ST plays a digi sound, maybe it's less audible for a "simpler" ym music)

In both cases it depends on how many samples are missing. But if half the buffer is regularly missing, then there's not much we can do, the user just have a too slow machine.

Maybe a wav recording can be made from Hatari, then write a small c program that ramdomly duplicates 1000 bytes several times at different positions in this wav, and set these bytes to null in another wav file.