Re: [AD] giftware license

Elias Pschernig wrote:
"You can modify Allegro and distribute the modified Allegro under any licence you want, *but the original unmodified parts will still be licenced under the Allegro licence*."

The *starred* part doesn't make any sense to me. What's it supposed to mean?

it tries to say: "what was published under allegro licence will always be licenced under the allegro licence". the wording may not be clear so propose better :-)

it's because if i've understood the people from OSI mailing list correctly it is not possible to relicence any parts of allegro without having explicit agreement from authors of the code. to cite from discussion between Elias and Rick Moen:

Elias Pschernig:
> This isn't required by our current license - we don't care if someone
> releases all of it under a new name and makes that GPL for example.

Rick Moen:
Er, only the copyright holder can, by law, determine the terms of usage
for a given instance of his codebase.  Other people lack title.

Elias Pschernig:
>Would MIT allow that?

Rick Moen:
No, nor can any other licence.