Re: [AD] giftware license

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 07:21 +0200, Daniel Schlyder wrote:
> Elias Pschernig:
> > I attached a new patch against faq._tx - it has the above changes, and
> > some revised wording (but I'm no native speaker as well). And while
> > reading it again, I'm wondering about that last disclaimer (which I
> > guess is out of GPL or MIT).. it's much less understandable than the
> > one with the dog :P Maybe we should instead try to explain what it
> > means?
>
> Nah, a disclaimer should be legalese. :)

Yes, but is it effective if it is only in the FAQ?

> I think the following, from the Boost license, is slightly better:
>
> THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
> IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT
> SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR ANYONE DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE BE LIABLE
> FOR ANY DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,
> ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
> DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
>
> I especially like the "ANYONE DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE" part.

Ok, after realizing that TORT is not the same as TART, it makes more
sense. NON-INFRIGEMENT actually makes me wonder.. how many patents are
volated by Allegro's code?

Anyway.. I'm not really sure if this should go into the FAQ, or maybe
added somewhere else..

--
Elias Pschernig