Re: [proaudio] pam rlimits aware setup

Thomas Kuther wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:51:01 +0200
Frieder Bürzele <evermind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thomas Kuther wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:07:32 +0200
Frieder Bürzele <evermind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thomas Kuther wrote:
<snip>
Frieder, do you get any errors on login? like ----8<---
May 18 10:19:14 SiRiUS pam_limits[14241]: unknown limit item
'rt_priority'
---->8---
(i just upgraded from an old version of patched pam which still
used rt_priority instead of rtprio)
The version from the overlay is doing fine here.

Further more, do you use pam login at all? You're sure you have
shadow emerged with USE="pam"?

Tom

no I don't get anything like this so I suppose pam is disabled
here. So howto enable it?
shadow is build with pam

Frieder
Hmm, basically when shadow is built with USE="pam" then pam should
be used automatically. To ensure this just login and see the logs:
---8<---
May 18 15:23:07 SiRiUS login(pam_unix)[11745]: session opened for
user tom by (uid=0)
--->8---

In my case i still have shadow-4.0.14-r1 AND pam-login installed.
(newer shadow package seems to get blocked by pam-login, maybe they
included that in shadow, or it's really obsolote, but i didn't
bother updating that yet).

Tom
from my logfile
May 18 15:22:21 [login(pam_unix)] session opened for user evermind by (uid=0)

    Frieder

That looks good.
If you get no errors from pam_limits.so and your user is in the audio
group, RLIMITS should be doing fine and you should be able to start
"jackd -R -dalsa" as user. Of course you have to re-login after
setting up pam_limits, or login in an unused tty and start jackd from
there.  If all that does not help, i smell a problem with the kernel o.O

Tom

Sorry for the noise, I have had messed my local copy of the pam ebuild to include a patch which won't work. Now it works again :) But I've still have problems with ardour1 which I already had before I messed it totally up.
this is what I get:

cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)

(with the realtime-lsm modul no such message will show up)

thx for your great and also fast respones.

   Frieder