Re: [proaudio] pam rlimits aware setup

Thomas Kuther wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2006 01:53:54 +0200
Frieder Bürzele <evermind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dominique Michel wrote:
Le Wed, 17 May 2006 23:11:57 +0200,
Frieder Bürzele <evermind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

Dominique Michel wrote:
Le Wed, 17 May 2006 15:21:56 -0500,
"Colin Shapiro" <cmshapiro@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

Do the default values in /etc/security/limits.conf not work when
you emerge the version of pam from the proaudio overlay?

# REALTIME support for audio group users
@audio          -       rtprio          100
@audio          -       nice            -10
@audio          -       memlock         250000
yes for sure I use this version. I've added the rlimits aware pam
to the overlay
It is the value I have been used from a few weeks with pam +
rt-lsm. And it is the value I used for the test and what I use
now. It just run out of the box after the install.

Ciao,
Dominique

In your description in the forums you wrote that pam would not
work properly on non rt-kernels. Does jackd get realtime priority
with non rt kernels?
You have to  run jackd as root with a non realtime kernel to get
realtime priority. But it will be rt in jack, not full premption as
with a rt-kernel. The premption depend in all case on the kernel.
With a non rt kernel, you will only get a higher priority when
runing jack with rt priority.

If you read not only my last post on the forum with the test, but
the other ones, I talk about compiling a vanilla kernel and testing
pam-Rlimit with it. I get wird system behaviour as the whole system
freezing to death with a low cpu usage. With the same 2.6.16
kernel, but rt22, all is working fine.

Dominique

up to now I was forced to use a non-rt kernel because using reiser4
as filesystem, but now I've added successfully reiser4 to rt-sources.
pam setup fails anyway
this is what jackd gives me

$ jackd -R -d alsa

 jackd 0.100.7
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Enhanced3DNow! detected
creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit control device hw:0
[snip]
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 20) [for thread -1228706896, from thread -1228706896] (1: Operation not permitted) cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread -1237099600, from thread -1237099600] (1: Operation not permitted)

Frieder, do you get any errors on login? like ----8<---
May 18 10:19:14 SiRiUS pam_limits[14241]: unknown limit item
'rt_priority'
---->8---
(i just upgraded from an old version of patched pam which still used
rt_priority instead of rtprio)
The version from the overlay is doing fine here.

Further more, do you use pam login at all? You're sure you have shadow
emerged with USE="pam"?

Tom

no I don't get anything like this so I suppose pam is disabled here.
So howto enable it?
shadow is build with pam

Frieder