Re: [proaudio] pam rlimits aware setup

Le Wed, 17 May 2006 23:11:57 +0200,
Frieder Bürzele <evermind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Dominique Michel wrote:
> > Le Wed, 17 May 2006 15:21:56 -0500,
> > "Colin Shapiro" <cmshapiro@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> >

> >> Do the default values in /etc/security/limits.conf not work when you emerge
> >> the version of pam from the proaudio overlay?
> >>
> >> # REALTIME support for audio group users
> >> @audio          -       rtprio          100
> >> @audio          -       nice            -10
> >> @audio          -       memlock         250000
> >>
> yes for sure I use this version. I've added the rlimits aware pam to the
> overlay
> > It is the value I have been used from a few weeks with pam + rt-lsm. And it is the value I used for the test and what I use now. It just run out of the box after the install.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Dominique
> >

> In your description in the forums you wrote that pam would not work
> properly on non rt-kernels. Does jackd get realtime priority with non rt
> kernels?

You have to  run jackd as root with a non realtime kernel to get realtime priority. But it will be rt in jack, not full premption as with a rt-kernel. The premption depend in all case on the kernel. With a non rt kernel, you will only get a higher priority when runing jack with rt priority.

If you read not only my last post on the forum with the test, but the other ones, I talk about compiling a vanilla kernel and testing pam-Rlimit with it. I get wird system behaviour as the whole system freezing to death with a low cpu usage. With the same 2.6.16 kernel, but rt22, all is working fine.

Dominique

> can you post your useflags when you do a emerge pam -pv

# emerge -pv pam

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/pam-0.78-r6  +berkdb -nis -pam_chroot -pam_console -pam_timestamp -pwdb (-selinux) 0 kB [1]