|Re: [hatari-devel] defaulting to SMALL_MEM|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel Archives
- To: hatari-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [hatari-devel] defaulting to SMALL_MEM
- From: Christian Zietz <czietz@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:14:34 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=gmx.net; s=badeba3b8450; t=1644768874; bh=OuXyQ5wcZvQHyYTfZyrbcQtecSJPNlceQDZL4k+VLWU=; h=X-UI-Sender-Class:Date:To:References:From:Subject:In-Reply-To; b=RztHiiDqeXG5iWag13Fkr/adcW6S3mDYZ8CKLIFhO1Oe8E5l1nOOwQ1f4+Mvx0ecP qRQK0O8X4eGe2DIqdsKOuml33aeAtc+UvaC8Up9Iws6nlkTFKpzFglBV5EeRG51Sho P+bk5r8c3mH6JBcQp7sYQhQ3jV7pYeOP2ocetSnU=
Eero Tamminen schrieb:
There was recent discussion on EmuTOS devel list that non-existent RAM
can be *read* without exception on *Atari* machines in certain cases. 
Yes, the STE has some additional unused ROM decodes, that allow reads
I would call it "non-existent *RAM*", though. The STE simply has some
ROM select lines that are unused (i.e. not connected to anything).
Reading from these addresses does not cause a bus error but returns
"garbage", i.e., often something similar to the last instruction due to
the data bus capacitance.
Of course, Hatari should not crash when something reads any memory;
regardless of whether there is a bus error or not.
But I think my remark (as quoted by Eero above) w.r.t. STE ROM select
lines is not connected with the Hatari crashes that we discussed.
Christian Zietz - CHZ-Soft - czietz@xxxxxxx
PGP/GnuPG-Key-ID: 0x52CB97F66DA025CA / 0x6DA025CA