Re: [hatari-devel] Preparing release 2.3

I looked quickly and from what I could see the Hatari in RetroArch is a shallow fork of v1.8

regards,
Troed

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

Maybe we could ask around in the Atari retro community if someone would like to be the Hatari deb and/or RetroArch package manager?

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 20:05, Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le 14/10/2020 à 19:16, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
>> If some packagers for any distro want to report issues or patches we
>> should add, then they can write to this mailing list.
>
> I was suggesting contacting authors of distro
> packages, and asking *them* to try packaging
> latest Hatari git version so that any issues
> could be fixed before release.
>
> They aren't necessarily reading this list, so
> they don't necessarily know that new Hatari
> version is imminent.
>
> (Distros have mechanisms that notify authors
> when new releases of automatically tracked
> upstream projects are available, but that's
> too late.)

I'm subscribed to some distro mailing lists and from what I see, when a
distro has problem with a program to package it, they create a patch if
possible and/or contact the program's author to submit the patch or
report the issue, so it will be fixed in main sources ; not the other
way around.

What I mean is that I don't have time to contact every distro or even
"big" distro (which distro ? what seems popular to someone might not be
to someone else) to get some input on possible changes. That's too many
distro to handle.

Another possibility would be to download the src deb or src rpm for some
distro and see if they changed things for hatari. But here, I don't have
time to do this too. Managing release for windows is already time consuming.

> I would hope so too, but there are quite a few
> things like icon installation, binfmt misc stuff,
> python versions etc, which may have changed also
> on distro side, not just things on Hatari side.

It's true that at the moment python is often an issue in recent distro
due to the EOL for python 2 and the switch to python 3.
Did you switch code in hatari to be python 3 compatible ?