Re: [hatari-devel] Preparing release 2.3

On 10/14/20 7:21 PM, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
Le 12/10/2020 à 22:47, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
On 10/12/20 11:36 PM, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
Le 12/10/2020 à 22:31, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
Have you asked / gotten feedback from Hatari disto
package maintainers about anything they'd like
to be changed?

which distro are you thinking and which changes ?

Any distro, any changes / patches they apply.

Large number of distros derive their packages from
Debian (many through Ubuntu), so Debian would be
most important.

But you would need to ask package maintainers to
check Hatari [1] *before* release for this to be useful.

[1] Try packaging latest Hatari git version and
see whether latest distro packaging tools complain
about anything.

unfortunately I have no time and no interest in packaging hatari for debian/ubutu to see if it works.

That's NOT what I was suggesting.

If some packagers for any distro want to report issues or patches we should add, then they can write to this mailing list.

I was suggesting contacting authors of distro
packages, and asking *them* to try packaging
latest Hatari git version so that any issues
could be fixed before release.

They aren't necessarily reading this list, so
they don't necessarily know that new Hatari
version is imminent.

(Distros have mechanisms that notify authors
when new releases of automatically tracked
upstream projects are available, but that's
too late.)

But as far as I remember we had very few
comments regarding packaging.

I remember digging through distro bug trackers
and finding Hatari bugs that hadn't been reported
anywhere else.

Also, I don't think Hatari is a complex program to package, if a distro managed to do a .deb/.rpm for hatari 2.2, there should be no problem doing it for hatari 2.3

I would hope so too, but there are quite a few
things like icon installation, binfmt misc stuff,
python versions etc, which may have changed also
on distro side, not just things on Hatari side.

I know Mageia as a recent version of Hatari and the spec file they use has no patch, so I don't think extra work from us is needed in this area.

Thanks, that's good to know!