Re: [hatari-devel] Lethal Xcess load state

On 06/20/2018 10:11 AM, Vincent Rivière wrote:
Le 19/06/2018 à 10:34, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
There might be some difference in HW (interrupt) initialization between
TOS versions.

I forgot to mention something very important.
I always start Hatari normally, then I load the snapshot using AlrGR+L.
So I'm the cause of the randomness. The time spent between TOS boot and the moment I press AltGr+L is different on each boot, so the internal machine state is different. Of course it should always work, but it is what triggers the bug.

Note that I now use Hatari HG on Linux, the issue is the same as on Cygwin. Still using TOS 1.62.

1) If I run "hatari -c lethal.cfg --memstate ~/.config/hatari/hatari.sav", it always works fine (and this will be the right workaround for serious Hatari usage).

Hm.  Memory snapshot seems to store paths to things like TOS
image, so it needs to be in exactly same path as when snapshot
is saved (in this case, under /home/vincent/).

This means that snapshots are awkward to use by other people.

Nicolas, shouldn't memory content restore guarantee that
there's correct TOS code in the memory, i.e. saving full
TOS path is redundant?

And shouldn't restore do a bit more complete setting reset
after config potentially changes, i.e. do the reset using
temporary config struct and calling:
	Change_CopyChangedParamsToConfiguration()
?

2) If I run "hatari -c lethal.cfg", wait less than 1 second on white screen, and press AltGr+L, it usually works fine.

After working around the TOS path, this unfortunately crashes
Hatari for me.  I assume this is because I have different arch
from you -> things have different sizes.

(I think things crashed in STX handling.)

If you use "--trace os_all", I guess it works if you do loading
before there's trace output for Gemdos_Boot()?

I.e. before game itself starts doing HW initializations, as your
config loads the game automatically (from disk).

3) If I run "hatari -c lethal.cfg", wait about 1.5 second on white screen, and press AltGr+L, it usually fails with bad palette

On each case, after initial boot and AltGr+L, I can press AltGr+L any times I want, it never changes the status: always good or always bad. I need to close Hatari and start it again to get a different status.

So really, loading snapshots fails to reinitialize some hardware, so the result incorrectly depends on machine state before loading the snapshot.