Re: [hatari-devel] Regression: Lethal Xcess fullscreen

Le 28/05/2014 18:53, Matthias Arndt a écrit :
Am 28.05.2014 12:01, schrieb Nicolas Pomarède:
Hi,

Lethal Xcess has a calibration routine at start to compute values to
remove top border and this calibration is rather short.
Result is rather random, it works often in STF mode and works
sometimes in STE mode.
But it worked in the past....

So ? Many things were also broken in the past and are now fixed. And many programs worked in the past because emulation was broken. The fact that a program worked before doesn't mean emulation was good, it sometimes means that emulation was not good enough to trigger the correct result.

I'm planning to add a quick fix for this, but the root of the problem
is much more complicated at the MFP level (will wait for after 1.8)

I prefer a quick fix. A playable game (and it was as playable as on my
STFM and on the STE in older Hatari versions) is more worth than that
last cycle accurate emulation which breaks the game.

Let's not mix things, please, what "cycle accurate emulation" are you talking about ? I don't add things by pleasure, but because they were measured on real HW and are required, this can have temporary side effects.

Lethal Xcess uses a self calibration routine to remove top border, which is rather broken in my opinion (many games/demos never used such routines and they managed to work correctly).

This calibration routine requires a combination of MFP and video emulation. In previous version before 1.7 (note that it was already not always working in Hatari 1.7), the calibration worked because the emulation inaccuracy in mfp and video "compensated" each other, so it was mainly luck.

In 1.7, many video timings were fixed, they were required, they fixed many overscan and there's no reason to revert those changes as they are correct.

But now, calibration routine has a correct video emulation and a not precise enough MFP emulation : this results in the breakage. Only solution will be to fix MFP with even more accuracy.

In the meantime, I added a fix for this (but the calibration sometimes randomly fails, I think it's the same on real hardware)