Re: [hatari-devel] OS X performance problem

Eero,

The status bar update fixed the problem. It is great to have it back! Thanks for making the change so that the status bar is usable on OS X. I do notice that the LED simply turns on and off now. In some of the earlier development versions and possibly 1.7, the drive LED actually pulsed to simulate drive activity. However, since the track readout is there, that gives me the same information. I used to look at the pulsing drive LED to confirm that the disk was being read. I did see one brief pulse, but that could have been my imagination.

Thanks again for working around the limitations in the OS X SDL 1.2 port. SDL 2 may well be better (For instance, I know it supports real OS X fullscreen mode), but I am sure that is a longer-term project. Considering the main developers are Linux programmers (as I recall), I would have been shocked if the SDL Linux port was sub-par. It is disappointing how the Mac SDL port turned out though.

@Nicolas - I tried Lethal Xcess in STE mode and whether I had the blitter turned on or not, I had the flickering effect. However, it appears to work fine in STF mode. As you mentioned, it seemed to work most of the time in STF mode. In any case, it sounds like fixing the root cause will wait until after 1.8. I cannot speak for anyone else, but that would be fine with me.

I have only tried a few STX files so far, but everything has worked perfectly.

Bob C