|Re: [eigen] Architecture specific performance optimizations|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Architecture specific performance optimizations
- From: Benoit Steiner <benoit.steiner.goog@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:16:51 -0700
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=4kx+RXJy+OzGbcaJFQp6TTNc+4AiCJ5i1l+kGNRFYeM=; b=HTJ4wmKOvWG1GQPSrL4KC/pig3uTBrycgQP6Gh5Xvlp/DqlpveCBLVHqyL/BSLz44h /htkI7/bUkre3msrq1ku7nVT8D98M6YQU+M67/8Y3LBnXtEzvv+PpuPot4IePJ0PRc1W ZOtdoVskmsQVc1XKYf9603ztQki014lLomBM8mL7lb4Xe7VSeCm1dwUlW0kWVmXdFVi1 SV7PCxWgd//j3VzobbcQ2sY9vRIkV9jznx/QyvYcWEoGMus5PtVIyMzm4XRiIi8lk82c 9FpzakJ1EkIDGjmpMyke64A1htOOK0B2v4nzgz+r3RTzdItc7NGcUQEk59N2uHJeZ0LV Z2fg==
Christoph, regarding bug 721
is looks like the compiler version has a lot more impact on the actual performance of the code than the actual instruction set (at least for x86 cpus). Maybe in addition to focus on recent hardware we should also focus our efforts on recent versions of the compilers to reduce the amount of validation work needed to vet improvements?
Jason: thanks for offering to test the performance of AVX. There is a bitbucket branch
that is almost ready with support for both AVX and FMA. It "works for me", but additional data points would be useful to confirm that it does speedup Eigen across a large set of applications. Please note that at the moment the code requires gcc 4.8 to compile.