|Re: [eigen] Architecture specific performance optimizations|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: Eigen development <eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Architecture specific performance optimizations
- From: Rhys Ulerich <rhys.ulerich@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 08:27:42 -0600
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type; bh=ln2V2lGZnTr9INj/UvZ8nfcu9MVRUkaTBpkwJ7XRZy8=; b=fKz9KZAtgRQKuI4UoVnlORwr27moKXLBBwMAw4rFZiYseiToxzz6/S7H1vqMdZowWT d2rucai8SJK77VD5actKgbNIhi9cYLi9K3tnkelF47QnRZGDfwpouaiebK8BuMqABEy4 lb9Wg5rnTnAD9NgKdj025ojgbWvnA4AKCxf3/KGU/CkXvkunRXKRQZK1LLHnT60KenQS gYMv8ajcClxG+ZA48p9vD6HskixAIUR3ueKKPVKmjPfvD7nJ86TMSwNT0tFBil8Bi6kI tgb7tQXV87fgXut3wYpPzHflAY5/9YqkMHrZVGcUs/BqtSxo0/9I5/BPzu9Ch22+z+qJ 6HTA==
> I think as a first step, we should have some kind of survey on what
> platforms Eigen currently is used, who requires to have top-performance (I
> would assume this correlates with people having up-to-date hardware).
Everyone will claim they need top performance.
Is there an automatic performance reporting capability within CDash,
or similar? Caring enough about performance to set up CI hardware
that automatically submits to a central tracking system (or enough to
buy such hardware for a core developer) is a great
this-platform-deserves-attention threshold. Plus, it's the only way
to understand narrow the changes triggering regressions without access
to the entire fleet of chips.
The approach works well already from a compiler-support perspective.
Folks who care sufficiently, if they see their compiler vendor/version
isn't covered, personally submit to CDash.
(None of this is meant to be a slap to people who don't run
correctness CI or who wouldn't run performance CI. I personally would
likely skip running performance CI. Everyone has finite time and