Re: [eigen] Architecture specific performance optimizations

I do not know if it is the good approach to the problem. But maybe it
would be possible to provide a program that run a few tests to
estimate the abilities of an architecture.
Then the program could generate a header with appropriate variables
set to optimize eigen calculations for that architecture.
I know that some libraries and programs (I was told that mplayer does
that, but I never investigate the matter myself) run tests at runtime
when they are launched and then use appropriate configuration options
to optimize how they operate.
I think it is very clever because having such an approach let the
developers choose what kind of optimization they want to support. The
downside is to build the tests to detect what an architecture is
capable of.

----
Dr. Ing. Manuel Yguel
StraTagGem project manager