Re: [eigen] moving to a serious issue/patch tracker

2010/10/3 Márton Danóczy <marton78@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Benoit,
>
> I'd like to speak in favour of Redmine. I'm not exactly sure what the
> workflow is that you have in mind, but with Redmine, too, you can have
> long discussions below an issue and attach patches (or any other file)
> to the issue.

Only if by "patches" you mean "attachments". This doesn't integrate
with any patch reviewing system. I don't need much from a patch review
system, but I need it to be possible to request review, and
accept/reject a patch. There are Redmine extensions doing that, but
they implement a different workflow a la reviewboard where each patch
is a completely separate entity with its own discussion thread.

> Moreover, Redmine has a wiki,

We don't want to move away from mediawiki.

> a repository browser,
> discussion boards, news, etc., and you can cross-link everything, e.g.
> commit messages or wiki pages to issues. Thus, everything connected to
> Eigen could be integrated in one site, even Bitbucket wouldn't be
> needed any more.

That would be nice, but it's not the problem that I'm trying to solve
right now. Redmine doesn't solve my above-mentioned problem.

Also, we could easily move the Mercurial repository to Tuxfamily and
install a repository browser. The reason why we stay at bitbucket is
the forks system, but if the bugzilla move is as successful as I hope
to restructure our community, that could eventually not be needed
anymore.

> To have a look at it, check out Redmine's own Redmine :) at
> www.redmine.org as a good example how it would look like.

See first email in this thread: we do already have a toy redmine
instance that Thomas set up for us. It even has a patch-reviewing
extension installed.