|Re: [eigen] Re: proposal: call the Geometry module experimental|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Re: proposal: call the Geometry module experimental
- From: Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 20:54:39 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=RGE4FwK5VHopQMGU7UyRMMw8dgYxTNvq61oSnjx7pyU=; b=UPE3pn5qJ9W/ZdFRqEjgjrQekzASmnoBx4OQnwNUx8czV20Gx1sH38HRyCmpKtdYKz vaVL9GUo802N48/SLwzgeoyg6QQAiA/bbyWhAwhtvn1Xc8lFKffLbh0uE6fELnCsJYtl RFoSYO/ekzwf6pTGvkOJAOov1cdjEAdMzgUWI=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=pkD4s4M3UrmST09j5r80d+n0yqzWIIsbJ98zo4tss49xs8fcglfVIEXvPRh7zmLnaZ /Pr5SOr4Mo9MxYl0LVeqXfMvPcRQUZQly9dbRjp13EQh3m7oLEXAzAUztcuRtQsXlAhl L/wQJ/hKQgc4EG9mZLHlveiZpNEV8IJ/hcZDE=
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/1/23 Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> yes I agree the current Scaling is somewhat limited. What about the
>> following proposal:
>> 1 - rename Translation TranslationProxy and slit Scaling in
>> UniformScaling, AxisAlignedScaling and GenericScaling.
> I'm not favorable to GenericScaling. What is a GenericScaling? it's
> just a self-adjoint matrix. The two notions are equivalent (hint:
> diagonalize your selfadjoint matrix, now it looks like a scaling...)
> If people want to multiply a transform by a GenericScaling they should
> just multiply by that matrix.
yes sure there is no need to have a GenericScaling stuff....
>> 2 - Add the global functions Translation and Scaling which would
>> auto-magically instanciate the correct proxy type.
> Aaaah this is the definitive solution. Decouple the actual class from
> the name that the user sees.
> Then if you add the Proxy suffix for translation for coherence we
> should add it to the scaling types too?
I added Proxy to Translation because I wanted to have Translation as a
global function, but perhaps there would be a better name for that
class. For "axis-aligned-scaling", if we agree that AlignedBox is
explicit enough, then AlignedScaling should be ok too, but of course
AxisAlignedBox and AxisAlignedScaling are more explicit.
> Can a Native English Speaker (tm) here tell us how good/bad
> AxisAlignedScaling sounds? The same usage of the word Aligned can also
> be found in our AlignedBox class. It is meant as "oriented along the
> standard axes". Is that correct?
> Can we say that the very existence of this discussion is a good reason
> to mark the whole Geometry module as experimental?
> (Still doing our best to preserve compatibility for existing projects) ?
as long as people don't use Translation and Scaling for storage then
I'm pretty sure we'll keep API compatibility for them.