|Re: [eigen] Re: proposal: call the Geometry module experimental|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Re: proposal: call the Geometry module experimental
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:37:01 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=+N/qrDqLxzvHTP272Ultuc91evpB0b4C2H/6EvRHlXg=; b=HPMyaOCbCy23Y5QINLfjvIqn26y9VtNq4UgpzIS492Bc9RIp1ayayBjrZrd2Z+K/EP eZgBYtIMQqmc9nUvzkneUTlsGa3cKOtnFQN7UZs74Oeieju3u8U7qVdH90eGQLOJ3vGG ZGFC6sg0OLylwNegqbcpbdu7UrmFJdSYROd5I=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=twSZb71lsJpsNSHkbAAJgIO99xdGXYco5aqjQwJgCMVaflsWl3HtxnBzK3RXDWojJJ 77inOkA+5dFn2IiizzdeID6uyBgy8JE4+M3DMQScxBwyf0TkzztdwmeNs8oYYL+qBKJa g4CJIFtQuZLaySqaLteGLDX3a6a4mahxOBjMU=
2009/1/22 Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>:
> the current situation have at least 4 advantages:
> - it is consistent with AngleAxis, Rotation2D, Quaternion, etc.
> - it allows nicer ctor: Translation(1,2,3) versus Vector3f(1, 2,
> - it allows ctor from scalar: Scaling3f(2);
> - it allows for storage if someone want (think about the current
> issues with DiagonalMatrix)
> (ok ok the 2nd and 3th could count for 1)
> and they are already very simple classes. The proxy you propose would
> not be simpler, just replace the storage Matrix by a reference and add
> the respective MatrixBase functions and you're done.
> This is my current opinion, but as you know I changed my mind several
> times by the past, so if you have good arguments who knows !
OK, good points. In Eigen I tend to have this idea that we should
avoid introducing new types when possible, but here indeed it makes
I think my only remaining real concern is about the naming.
For rotations we have EulerAngles, AngleAxis, Quaternion, but not Rotation.
Likewise for scaling we should have a specific, explicit name for this
kind of scaling, not Scaling.
Notice that a general scaling is just a selfadjoint matrix, it's the
same thing! So a general scaling is a very very general notion.