|[eigen] Re: proposal: call the Geometry module experimental|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [eigen] Re: proposal: call the Geometry module experimental
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:01:39 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=Y31xcrLnCQfdFWsdDJojF7hHSSJ9gHVPVLgFFamDNb0=; b=gdnoqtjwsip+93DDKZTQzfZRBjePP4jEFzFuwZpJw39kq69bz37xKzACgKQpT9fnid egi/PITin8OyNNy2HlsOQqDS4KdlLMB8gr8ZVIXql/D9bcm+im0AC/lEMyY/ZZCbq4wd xYUBA9RW7vfusESpRugEGyo3GV+P1QMEfufSM=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=S/A3mAp8Z8pfoCq9Vv/Py//dL56/T6XSBZbwX5nP29fFG9vz0ol/0OwmWGmGAguvgH 2lR+lUmx/+mCJbmIqTvgORU9OCbqHxW27bD4egCr/vIu0HFFF2/j+ZrAizbVRA1wJSJ+ LIXBBpRRJDkcau6i7ELY0o45+ckFp0XC+oC5A=
Ah i remember now what was the point of Translation and Scaling: to
allow to construct a Transform by doing
translation * rotation * scaling
and other expressions.
However, since Translation and Scaling are useless for storage, I
think that they could be made much more simple proxys around vectors,
(returning a proxy) instead of
2009/1/22 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I propose to call the Geometry module experimental for the 2.0 release.
> I'd still make sure to preserve compatibility for the subset that I
> know Krita uses (and also Avogadro).
> But i'd like to keep some freedom to improve the API.
> I think that some classes are useless as they are just trivial
> wrappers around vectors: Translation and Scaling. Moreover as Ben's
> email shows they can be confusing as a geometric scaling is in general
> not representable by class Scaling (as soon as the scaling axes are
> The alternative would be to selectively mark classes as experimental,
> but i have an overall uneasy feeling about part of the Geometry module