Re: [AD] RFC - Linux WM Fullscreen Patch

I also tested all those WM's on my system (ubuntu 13.04) and came to
the following conclusions with regards to Trent's patch:

Improved by patch: compiz in both legacy and non-legacy modes. Sawfish.
Slight regression: kwin : ok before patch, after patch slightly misplaces mysha.
Slight regression: fluxbox : ok before patch, after patch oly first
mode switch is ok, on next mode switches the position is wrong.

I don't think fluxbox is important enough to worry about, and the
patch does improve the situation drastically for compiz and sawfish (I
also don't worry much about sawfish though). Most important is that
we'll have to find out what is wrong with kwin and fix that too.

One thing to keep in mind is that I switched winow managers on the go
and didn't reboot each time, so perhaps the tests I did may have some
cross interference in them. I found them instructive nevertheless.
Also interesting enough is that the gtk/gnome wased WM's seem to be
the best behaved ones at least for Allegro.

The fact that you saw something else than me may mean that we used
different versions of kwin; I used KWin: 4.9.5.

Kind Regards,

B.
Test of full screen switching BEFORE Trent's latest patch:

xfwm4
   ex_fs_resize: OK
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : OK for ex_fs_window

compiz - with legacy mode on
   ex_fs_resize: NOK - It works sometims but sometimes the screen is messed up
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : Couldn't get tabbing to work at all even with appswitcher plugin.

compiz - with legacy mode off
   ex_fs_resize: NOK - It works sometims but sometimes the screen is messed up
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : Couldn't get tabbing to work at all even with appswitcher plugin.

metacity
   ex_fs_resize: OK - metacity does complain that what we do is "legacy".
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : OK for ex_fs_window

fvwm / fvwm2
   ex_fs_resize: NOK - switches to fullscreen but the result has wrong size
   ex_fs_window: NOK - does not switch.

openbox
   ex_fs_resize: NOK - switches to fullscreen but the result has wrong size
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : This WM does not support tabbing.

icewm
   ex_fs_resize: NOK - switches mode but window gets no focus. Improves on next switch.
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : OK for ex_fs_window

pekwm
   ex_fs_resize: OK
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : NOK - tabbing works now but cannot tab away from ex_fs_window.

xmonad
   does not work at all on my system

wmii
   ex_fs_resize: OK
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : This WM does not support tabbing.

sawfish
   ex_fs_resize: NOT OK - switches mode but sets focus wrongly and locks desktop
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : This WM does not support tabbing.

dwm
   ex_fs_resize: NOK - switches mode but size is wrong
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : This WM does not support tabbing.

awesome
   ex_fs_resize: OK
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : This WM does not support tabbing.

blackbox
   ex_fs_resize: NOK - first switch is OK but next ones are wrong size
   ex_fs_window: NOK - doesn't hide the topmost window decoration

fluxbox
   ex_fs_resize: OK
   ex_fs_window: NOK - first switch has wrong size, after that it becomes OK

kwm
   ex_fs_resize: OK - the switch is very visible and slow, though
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : OK for ex_fs_window

mutter
   ex_fs_resize: OK - mutter does complain that what we do is "legacy".
   ex_fs_window: OK
   tabbing     : OK for ex_fs_window