Re: [AD] RFC - Linux WM Fullscreen Patch

On 08/07/2014 02:58 PM, Trent Gamblin wrote:
Looked at SDL closer - it behaves differently than I was told. It
doesn't scale at all, it uses the window manager to go fullscreen and
then xrandr/xvidmode to change the mode. Better for us, I did the same
and the patch is a ton simpler now.

I'd like to propose changing ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW so that it
implies ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN as well. That'll require a few changed checks
here and there but not as bad as making ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN separate from
ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW and ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_VIRTUAL. IMO it should
have been that way from the start, as a modifier.

What does this implication mean exactly? Will you be able to do mode-setting via ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW? I note the patch doesn't seem to do that...

This wasn't really clear from the fullscreen thread earlier either... what are the use cases for the 3 separate FULLSCREEN options? In the current system, you use ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN for performance (i.e. want direct access and/or don't want to have a buffer bitmap + scaling) with the caveat that it doesn't work well on modern monitors and ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW otherwise (i.e. most of the time). Does the current plan change that reasoning? If the scaling idea is (at least temporarily) abandoned, what is the use case for ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_VIRTUAL?

Is there no way for ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW and ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_VIRTUAL to be combined?

-SL