Re: [AD] Fullscreen problems on Linux

Not worth it.

Trent

On 2014-07-09 5:35 AM, Elias Pschernig wrote:
Personally, I don't see why you ever would want to use
ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN (instead of ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW). However,
since it seems to be a problem - we could just add support for
emulating ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN. It would work like this:

al_set_new_display_option(ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_MODE,
ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_FIT, ALLEGRO_REQUIRE);
al_set_new_display_flags(ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN);
al_create_display(640, 480);

And now internally, we would use ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW (so we
don't have to deal with real fullscreens being phased out in the real
world) - but it would set up a display drawing to a 640x480 bitmap
which then gets scaled and centered (with black bars as necessary).

In addition to ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_FIT we could even have several
fullscreen modes:

ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_FIT: Fit the window to the largest possible area
ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_FIT_INTEGER: Same, but limit to integer scaling
ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_FIT_STRETCH: Stretch to fill the whole screen, with
no bars but not maintaining aspect (not sure that would ever be
useful...)
ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_FIT_CLIP: Fill the whole screen instead of having
black bars, but in return some parts will be clipped off (also not
sure that would be useful for a game)