Re: [AD] Fullscreen problems on Linux

Elias, I beg to disagree on that point.

Real mode setting is essential for games and perhaps surprisingly so, for security applications. Not everyone uses a low quality LCD panel that only works well at it's native resolution as their display! What if I want to show my images on a real TV, or on a high quality display that supports
mode setting well?

I know of a safety application for X that requires the resolution to be set to be exactly the same as it was during the last decade so the layout will stay identical and the images will stay the same without any scaling. These images have been validated for safety and must stay as they were, even if standard high quality monitor resolutions are increasing all the time.

Also, for games, especially old games, retro games, or games that have to run well on older computers or low powered ones, the ability to mode set is essential for higher performance
and pixel perfect quality. So we can give our players what they want.

But no one in the Wayland team thinks much of games or industrial control safety apps...

SDL does what you suggest, it emulates full screen though full screen window.
I think it's the wrong decision. ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN should stay for
real mode setting, with in documentation that it doesn't always work because
of this "no mode setting for you"  nonsense under Linux,  and
ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW is for emulating full screen. the latter
option could perhaps use a few options to better control it, but the distinction
between real mode setting and faking it should remain clear.

Kind Regards ,

Björn.