Re: [AD] giftware license

Elias Pschernig wrote:
IMHO no, only parts written before licence change by other people than
Shawn.

Which may be quite some parts, and hard to identify. What exactly was
the swapware license?

Allegro is swap-ware. You may use, modify, redistribute, and generally
hack it about in any way you like, but if you do you must send me
something in exchange. This could be a complimentary copy of a game, an
addition or improvement to Allegro, a bug report, some money (this is
particularly encouraged if you use Allegro in a commercial product), or
just a copy of your autoexec.bat if you don't have anything better. If
you redistribute parts of Allegro or make a game using it, it would be
nice if you mentioned me somewhere in the credits, but if you just want
to pinch a few routines that is OK too. I'll trust you not to rip me off.

this is why there is "Older versions" section on Allegro homepage :-)

About copyright.. I think, maybe what was meant on the OSI list, is
the copyright by Allegro. I.e. by contributing to Allegro, the
copyright goes to Allegro. If someone else now uses the code, then the copyright holder (Allegro) is the only one legally able to change
the license. The same would apply if Allegro takes some code written
by someone, and just merges it into the lib. This code then stays at
its original license (even if it allows using the code. if it does not
- then integrating it would be plainly illegal anyway).

This would also make the other FAQ entry about copyright wrong.. since
by contributing to Allegro the copyright of the modified parts would
move to Allegro as well. They'd still have the right to claim they
wrote it.. but the other copyrigt rights they would give away by
contributing.

please? Allegro is library it can't hold any rights at all. only human beings or some legal entity can hold rights. or have programming libraries their senators?

copyright always holds the _author_. he can give you rights to use. that's all. library by itself cannot hold any rights because it's programming library not legal entity nor human being

--
Regards,
    Michal