Re: [AD] Proposed changes for Allegro 5 (6?)

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:15:30AM +0100, Javier González wrote:

Seriously though, who still uses a pure DOS system today? If you use
Windows, why not use Mingw and make Windows programs? (then port them to
Linux ;)

Dropping support for a specific OS should not be taken as a democratic vote, where
the majority wins, or we would have only a windows version of Allegro due to the
monopoly of Mr Gates.

And I agree. However, I'd hate to see DOS being the large boulder attached to Allegro. If all the neat stuff can be done from DOS, then you have my vote to keep it. Otherwise, it can stay with Allegro 4.

I must agree with this... either if we want or not DOS will be totally dead
in say from 6 months to 1 year max

People have been saying that since windows 95.

Yes, and with win2k/xp, it's becoming even more of a pain to run DOS programs. I'm keeping my win95 partition alive soulely for FenixBlade :)

Why don't we do the
following: instead of trying to foresee the future, let's agree that
DOS will be dropped whenever djgpp is not longer maintained. We can talk
again about this subject whenever that happens.

If we do'nt drop DOS, then, if ever some feature pops up that Allegro cannot (easily) emulate in DOS, could we have a non-portable-to-DOS program? That is, we use feature X of modern operating system Y, which can't be done in DOS without writting our own OS, then can we still include it in Allegro, but make programs built on it not portable to DOS?

--
- Robert J Ohannessian
"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (my CS prof)