Re: [AD] more patches

Shawn Hargreaves <shawn@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Yeah, it looks that way. Argh! You are quite right that setting INFOPATH
> makes this work, but it would be a shame if people have to do this before
> they can get Allegro docs installed properly.

I think that setting INFOPATH is the only way if infodir is not
overriden with '--infodir' option of configure.  Linux vendors did not
think enough before removing default behaviour of GNU info.

> How about, if we don't already have a dir file in the directory where we are
> trying to install the info file, just give up on setting this entry? We can
> print a message telling the user that there is no info dir, so they need to
> either create one and set up their info system to use it, or tell Allegro to
> install the info pages somewhere else.

I think it would be better than doing something that might not work
at all.

> A good point, but strangely, this does seem to work. My info reader doesn't
> find a dir file in /usr/local/info, but it does find
> /usr/local/info/allegro.info, when Allegro is listed in /usr/info/dir. So it
> probably would work ok if we just added the entry to /usr/info/dir.

Placing entry in /usr/info/dir works for me only if I use full path to
the allegro.info, for example

* allegro: (/usr/local/info/allegro).	Allegro library.

--
Michael Bukin