Re: [AD] more patches

Michael Bukin <M.A.Bukin@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I think both /sbin and /usr/sbin are not in the PATH.  I had to add them
> manually (/sbin is less useful than /usr/sbin).  Anyway, install-info from
> GNU texinfo package is installed into $(prefix)/bin.

Ok, it sounds like there is no consensus about where to find this, then, and
we probably can't count on it already being pathed. Perhaps it's another
problem for autoconf to deal with? Or we could always just execute
`locate install-info` (except that for me, that finds a copy in
/d/djgpp/bin and /d/egcs/bin, as well as the Linux one in /sbin :-)

> BTW, creating symlink from $(infodir)/dir to /usr/info/dir does not work
> for me because on my system $(infodir) is vfat partition which does not
> support symlinks.  Perhaps, we should include dir file in the zip and copy
> it if there is no dir file in $(infodir).

But then surely we would just end up adding our entry to a separate dir
file, rather than the main one the system is using? I don't totally
understand the need for making this symlink: surely the real problem is that
we have misidentified where the real $(INFO_DIR) should be? In which case
either we are wrong for just assuming that $(INFO_DIR) should be
$(infodir)/dir (in which case how should we be detecting it?) or autoconf is
wrong for not providing a second directory for the table of contents, as
well as where the actual files live.

Urgh, why does this have to be so complicated?

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."