Re: [AD] About the X-Window version.

Michael Bukin <M.A.Bukin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Peter Wang <tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On a related note: the X version of Allegro pops up a window on
> > allegro_init(), rather than during set_gfx_mode().  With manual
> > placement of windows, this is quite annoying as the first window that
> > appears is usually not of the size specified in set_gfx_mode().
>
> Perhaps, I should destroy old window and create new one on
> set_gfx_mode just like in XwinAllegro.  Or just move window after
> changing size in set_gfx_mode.

Actually, my complaint isn't really about that as much as the fact
that even programs such as `exsample' pop up a window only to print
out the usage information, then quit.  I can imagine quite a few
command-line batch tools that will not work "batch-wise" because of
this behaivior.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible for a program to connect to
the X server without opening a window, then open it during
set_gfx_mode?  If not, would it be viable for X/Allegro to not connect
until set_gfx_mode called for the first time?

Regarding your original question: IMO, it would be better if the
window was re-centred after changing the size in set_gfx_mode.  But
that is only my opinion.  Whatever you do, please don't close the old
window and create a new one, it's even more annoying to have to
reposition a window whenever a game decides to switch res (ala
SDL/Descent).

Perhaps I should just patch the "Smart" Placement feature in
AfterStep...

Peter
--
tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.alphalink.com.au/~tjaden/