Re: [chrony-users] Timeout for initstepslew?

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 01:26:01PM -0700, Zack Shivers wrote:
> Could I gain the accuracy of shorter polling interval with added rate
> stability by using the filter option? If so, do you have any recommended
> values for poll and filter?

Yes, you could, at least in theory. Is the server free running (using
local directive), or synchronized to another server? If it is not very
stable, there is no point in trying to tightly synchronize its
clients.

Best values of minpoll/maxpoll and filter will depend on your network,
clock, etc. Set the polling interval to the shortest one you are
comfortable with (not overloading the network or server) and try to
increase the filter length so that the number of samples reported in
sourcestats is close to 64, but not 64, most of the time. If it's
stuck at 64 most of the time, the filter and the update interval is
probably too short.