Re: [chrony-users] Timeout for initstepslew?

Actually setting a high poll rate does not necessarily get you a better sync. It determines the offset more "accurately" but determines the rate worse. Ie,
if clock A gets its time from clock B, then the rate of A will jump around
much more if the poll interval is shorter. Now you may not care about the
clock rate, in which case short poll intervals are better, but that would also
mean that time differences would be much more random. Also if you lose clock
B, then clock A will drift away from the "correct" time much more rapidly.

Also, if in the short term, clock B say heats up (due to some program running
on B) A will try to follow that change in timing on the short term.

Ie, you need to think carefully about what you want from your clocks, before
you simply say "shorter poll intervals are better".

You could also set up a polling of the computer running B and only start
chronyon A when B actually comes up.

What do you use for timing clock B? If B uses A as its source and A uses B,
you can get problems with runaway behaviour. B tells A to speed up. A then
tells B to speed up, and way they go.

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx