Re: [chrony-users] Timeout for initstepslew?

Sure, I'd be happy to tell you about the application.

Hardware:
host1 = Computer running chrony as NTP server
host2 = Computer running chrony as NTP client

Goal: Reliably sync the local time of host1 to host2, achieving sync
between system times as quickly as possible.

Assumptions:
- There are only two machines in the system
- Boot time and order is not guaranteed. Generally, both machines will
come up at about the same time.
- Access to internet is not guaranteed, and may take too long to come
up, therefore solution should not rely on non-local servers.
- Absolute time accuracy to external servers is not required. Only the
system time offset between host1 and host2 matters.
- The system time offset between machines must go below some threshold
as quickly as possible
- Stepping the clock at startup is preferred as it reduces total time to sync

I ask about the timeout on initstepslew is that the problem would be
solved if I could set a much longer timeout than 10 seconds. The
makestep option could work instead, but I've seen issues using this as
well that I will post about later.

RTC might be sufficient to get a reasonable sync time. Can you suggest
a configuration that might work?

--

Zack Shivers
Electrical / Embedded Systems Engineer