Re: [chrony-users] Setting up Chrony with PPS

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 04:08:47PM +1300, Bryan Christianson wrote:
> My understanding is that chrony.ttyAMA0.sock is a socket created by chronyd and listened to by chronyd
>
> When gpsd starts, it checks to see if the socket exists and writes the PPS data to it.

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work.

> Thus chronyd has to be running before gpsd is started. After a reboot of my RPi 2 (debian stretch/sid) I usually kill both daemons and start them manually in the correct order. The default systemd dependencies are wrong or maybe non-existent - who knows with that piece of awfulness - and I don’t want to spend the time investigating

Looking at the Debian packages, the gpsd unit file seems to be the one
provided by upstream, which specifies "After=chronyd.service". But the
chrony service in Debian is named chrony (and not chronyd as in Fedora
for instance), so the ordering dependency is probably ignored. The
gpsd unit file in Debian should use After=chrony.service, or maybe the
upstream version should have both.