|Re: [chrony-users] Setting up Chrony with PPS|
[ Thread Index |
| More chrony.tuxfamily.org/chrony-users Archives
- To: chrony-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [chrony-users] Setting up Chrony with PPS
- From: Bryan Christianson <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 16:08:47 +1300
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=smtpcorp.com; s=a0-2; h=Feedback-ID:X-Smtpcorp-Track:To:Message-Id:Date: From:Subject; bh=uAGg/N4MA7mOFGX1ZGpBHiolhIXvQCNGe5CqEZB6hbM=; b=Xb3DHOTC58wq tttWHVC8FOh0+efveIih6rBZEPAKw6QD6NE+eqT699U0G6hv8aa26ODPLd8Lx83kB/4nsqpwnjzgn 97fesHUBS3xvb7qxmwwLtI9nZCu6ecKtacrDitMgzm4ltKOBvEESArC0ZocF60ICZ6VXRnz5qfiRQ Kit8QtlXkhvBQXGQy8ZnAU/JttAvxLXOTr4JbaCr9y34fHAMAU1aQIn2Ze9aI2dFniC2gk9Wo3QUF yJFoTFkuT1Opf/ZpGg7IhtZoaYxWdT9oajS6P0pUJKkYl2sDLYYluQWZjqZJQG5qsQ/h7k3htTz+g d6AuQhxwCKUNmCyxQojraw==;
- Feedback-id: 149811m:149811acx33YQ:149811s0qfy59KtE:SMTPCORP
> On 19/02/2016, at 3:57 PM, Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> William G. Unruh | Canadian Institute for| Tel: +1(604)822-3273
> Physics&Astronomy | Advanced Research | Fax: +1(604)822-5324
> UBC, Vancouver,BC | Program in Cosmology | unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Canada V6T 1Z1 | and Gravity | www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Deven Hickingbotham wrote:
>> First off, thanks for all of the responses! I'm testing your suggestions as fast as I can and if I apologize if I don't directly reply to a suggestion.
>>> Does /var/run/chrony.ttyAMA0.sock exist? If not, then it is hard to read
>>> it. Your gpsd does not seem to be writing to SHM0
>> Yes, it does exist:
>> pi@gps /var/run $ ls -l *.sock
>> srwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Feb 18 16:23 chrony.ttyAMA0.sock
>> srw-rw---- 1 root root 0 Feb 18 15:43 dhcpcd.sock
>> srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Feb 18 15:43 dhcpcd.unpriv.sock
>> srwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Feb 18 16:23 gpsd.sock
> OK, not sure what it does
>> But I don't think it existed before I configured chrony.
> I suspect it is a socket that chrony listens to, but there needs to be
> something that actually writes to that socket as well. But I have never used sockets on chrony so have no idea.
My understanding is that chrony.ttyAMA0.sock is a socket created by chronyd and listened to by chronyd
When gpsd starts, it checks to see if the socket exists and writes the PPS data to it.
Thus chronyd has to be running before gpsd is started. After a reboot of my RPi 2 (debian stretch/sid) I usually kill both daemons and start them manually in the correct order. The default systemd dependencies are wrong or maybe non-existent - who knows with that piece of awfulness - and I don’t want to spend the time investigating
To unsubscribe email chrony-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "unsubscribe" in the subject.
For help email chrony-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "help" in the subject.
Trouble? Email listmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.