Re: Before you start release cooking iso

A part me thought this bug with /usr/share/usb.ids was cause by usbutils which is depend of udev. Also there is no patch that i can tell that archlinux changes udev to look for usb.ids at all.

Also udev is depend on pciutils in archlinux but not usbutils. Maybe thats why there is no option for udev to look for usbutils.

PS My guess is udev uses lsusb.py script to look for usb.ids if it exist. Also usbutils and udev are part of core in archlinux so they will both be installed anyway.

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Christophe Lincoln <pankso@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just looked at archlinux usbutils and found a patch for fixing
> usbutils to have usb.ids in /usr/share/hwdata.
> http://projects.archlinux..org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/usbutils/trunk/fix-python2.patch
>
> We can drop the python2 part and change hwdata to misc. Also you can
> again make a package with this link for usb.ids:
>
> http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

NO NO NO... Udev looks for /usr/share/usb.ids

udev.log:

usb.ids:                /usr/share/usb.ids
pci.ids:                /usr/share/misc/pci.ids.gz

In udev receipt I use --with-pci-ids-path=/usr/share/misc/pci.ids.gz
but they no equivalent for usb.ids. Also it sould be compressed. So
dont touch that.