Re: [Sawfish] question about workspace dimensions

 Teika> On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:40:11 -0800, D M German wrote:
 >> when I unplug it and enable to laptop screen, the panel goes back to its
 >> expected size. [...] but... the panel (XFCE) shows the dimensions of the
 >> workspace as if it was the one of the external display (much larger)

 Teika> Hi, dmg. (Well, I'm almost dead but alive.) It seems to me you confuse
 Teika> two things: the size of the panel, or more precisely, its (horiz ?)
 Teika> maximized-ness, is managed by Sawfish, and it's correctly resized
 Teika> (thanks to your patch iirc). Notice only maximized windows are
 Teika> resized. But the panel ignores the screen resize, and it's independent
 Teika> of Sawfish. (Panel has to listen to X, not to Sawfish.) One fix is to
 Teika> kill and restart the panel using the Sawfish randr-change-notify-hook.

Hi Teika,

thank you very much for your response.

It looks like history was my problem. I had enabled it some time ago
(not knowing what it would do, really :) and forgot about it. But I only
had dimensions enabled. I will keep an eye on it.

And thanks for the explanation of the size of the panel. After your
explanation I think the problem is that, unless I resize with xfce
screens tool, the desktop manager does not resize (I was resizing with
xrandr from the command line).

 >> how does the workspaces panel widget gets the number and size of
 >> each workspace? And where does sawfish store this information?

 Teika> Sawfish relies on xinerama for multiscreen (thus it's quite poor), and
 Teika> in xinerama, there's only, one entire screen. The workspace size is the
 Teika> same as the screen size.

do yuo know the variable name (or function ) where the number of
workspaces can be retrieved from?

 >> when I create windows sometimes they are created outside the boundaries
 >> of the laptop screen.

 Teika> Do you enable window history, or have ~/.sawfish/window-history? If so,
 Teika> disabling or deleting that file may help. Not sure at all. In fact,
 Teika> that file never helps if does not harm, but it's sometimes created even
 Teika> if you disable history. (I don't remember how you can enable or
 Teika> disable it.) So I have my Sawfish wrapper notify me when that file

In the sawfish-config/window rules/history

Thanks again Teika,

--daniel

 Teika> Teika (Teika kazura)

 Teika> --
 Teika> Sawfish ML

--
Daniel M. German                  "To take photographs means to recognize
                                   --simultaneously and within a