|Re: [Sawfish] question about workspace dimensions|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/sawfish Archives
- To: sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [Sawfish] question about workspace dimensions
- From: D M German <dmg@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 20:57:29 -0800
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=x-received:sender:from:to:subject:organization:references:reply-to :date:in-reply-to:message-id:user-agent:mime-version:content-type; bh=Sesdyfgyu6CZp8aA6rRjngE5VDWQP9wRqAz9yowbPds=; b=gN5+0cfL2FWjxA85jfIfwpt8GVkmTE6VAfPZ3hpto3A4qVF03h+CrA3zb6b+I98zI9 eaXl9voEkQhp5ORWouLXGmj0suhtHh2am5VQYygodXJ2NwZ7NAlKxlxQMfhIHUWWPz3T rGUxbt0IuICFiQ/U3BAA+DoyBXdaoVpZ0eop1uF0uZ7TZvhd2Nrz5FMi3BT9B2lUxSQ3 6bAs/8xhEzq+foaKZYC8WDjp/VF9F5A0I8JMCf/bVQnUQdLkIJtO5owyWV3aISvEKnGY GCR3is9Gz24UviHg6V7MzMdfM+yLpVJkZTXz19ZDa7Xi2pOI5xK5CttrRhFjJ9LuaEmb lICw==
- Organization: University of Victoria
Teika> On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:40:11 -0800, D M German wrote:
>> when I unplug it and enable to laptop screen, the panel goes back to its
>> expected size. [...] but... the panel (XFCE) shows the dimensions of the
>> workspace as if it was the one of the external display (much larger)
Teika> Hi, dmg. (Well, I'm almost dead but alive.) It seems to me you confuse
Teika> two things: the size of the panel, or more precisely, its (horiz ?)
Teika> maximized-ness, is managed by Sawfish, and it's correctly resized
Teika> (thanks to your patch iirc). Notice only maximized windows are
Teika> resized. But the panel ignores the screen resize, and it's independent
Teika> of Sawfish. (Panel has to listen to X, not to Sawfish.) One fix is to
Teika> kill and restart the panel using the Sawfish randr-change-notify-hook.
thank you very much for your response.
It looks like history was my problem. I had enabled it some time ago
(not knowing what it would do, really :) and forgot about it. But I only
had dimensions enabled. I will keep an eye on it.
And thanks for the explanation of the size of the panel. After your
explanation I think the problem is that, unless I resize with xfce
screens tool, the desktop manager does not resize (I was resizing with
xrandr from the command line).
>> how does the workspaces panel widget gets the number and size of
>> each workspace? And where does sawfish store this information?
Teika> Sawfish relies on xinerama for multiscreen (thus it's quite poor), and
Teika> in xinerama, there's only, one entire screen. The workspace size is the
Teika> same as the screen size.
do yuo know the variable name (or function ) where the number of
workspaces can be retrieved from?
>> when I create windows sometimes they are created outside the boundaries
>> of the laptop screen.
Teika> Do you enable window history, or have ~/.sawfish/window-history? If so,
Teika> disabling or deleting that file may help. Not sure at all. In fact,
Teika> that file never helps if does not harm, but it's sometimes created even
Teika> if you disable history. (I don't remember how you can enable or
Teika> disable it.) So I have my Sawfish wrapper notify me when that file
In the sawfish-config/window rules/history
Thanks again Teika,
Teika> Teika (Teika kazura)
Teika> Sawfish ML
Daniel M. German "To take photographs means to recognize
--simultaneously and within a
fraction of a second
--both the fact itself and the rigorous
organization of visually perceived
forms that give it meaning.
It is putting one's head,
one's eye and one's heart on the same
Henri Cartier Bresson -> axis"
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .