Re: [Sawfish] Re: plain sawfish as a window manager

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Dmitry Derjavin <dd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Срд, Авг 22 2012 at 16:03, Snow Bender wrote:
>
>> Heh... I settled for now on 2 desktops, each 3x3 viewports.

> attributes to map windows to visible screen areas according to their
> applications role in your working process.

Yup... been experimenting with it from sawfish-client.

> Say, desktop 1 for the boring official work and desktop 2 for (another
> kind of) fun. So you could place your jabber client window to both 1 and
> 2 «communications» viewport. And so on.

Yes, have been thinking about that too. A boring work desktop and a
desktop for fun with more distractions. Having two completely separate
desktops can be handy for that separation.

> Also, copying windows to other desktops/viewports may be helpful.
>
> As for myself, I don't use viewports for some time. I replaced them with
> plain 3×3 workspace grid:
>
> (setq overriden-pager-vertical-p t)
> (setq overriden-num-workspace-rows 3)
>
> By the way, getting rid of viewports doesn't reduce your desktop
> dimensions much: 2 + full screen windows + application
> tabs/screens/buffers. Mental model seems to be quite complicated.

Yes, I know... viewports and workspaces is another way to think about
"separate desktops". The only real difference in use is that one
window can spread over several neighbouring viewports, but not over
different workspaces. Viewports might be interesting with small
screens though (my laptop is an old iBook with a 1024x768 screen). It
makes it possible to enlarge windows to a size that is bigger than the
screen size... and for some badly written applications that allows you
to make gui components visible that would otherwise be unreachable.

Ruben