Re: [Sawfish] Sawfish with gnome3

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Michal Jaegermann <michal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It is ignored because gnome3 is using 'gsettings' and not 'gconf'.
> There is a graphic front-end for the first, called dconf, but it is
> so clumsy right now that 'gsettings' utility seems to be vastly
> preferable.

There doesn't seem to be any window manager setting there.

"gsettings list-recursively"

Seems to dump everything and I find nothing grepping for metacity,
compiz or the usual suspects.

> If anything can be set there to affect a window manager choice I
> have no idea.

Looks like not.

> OTOH "Classic GNOME" can be started up from gdm because there is
> a file /usr/share/xsessions/compiz-gnome.desktop and in it:
>
> Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=compiz-gnome
>
> where this 'compiz-gnome' is described by a text file
> /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/compiz-gnome.session

On Debian there is

/usr/share/xsessions/gnome-fallback.desktop

that provides "Classic GNOME".  It exec's gnome-session-fallback but
that doesn't like the "--session" argument added.

Looking at the xsession and gnome-session/sessions/ for plain gnome I
don't see what should be added.  I'm guessing this line from
gnome.session is relevant:

RequiredComponents=gnome-shell;gnome-settings-daemon;

I tried replacing "gnome-shell" with "sawfish" but then the option is
no longer presented in GDM3's login screen.

This kind of stuff is reaching MicroSoft levels of lockout.

-Brett.

---