Re: [Sawfish] Sawfish with gnome3

Don't know if this will help:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#Building

go to the section:

Setting up gnome-shell to run on login

I'm getting ready to install gnome3 with sawfish and this the best I've come up with so far. Hope it helps.

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Brett Viren <brett.viren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Michal Jaegermann <michal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It is ignored because gnome3 is using 'gsettings' and not 'gconf'.
> There is a graphic front-end for the first, called dconf, but it is
> so clumsy right now that 'gsettings' utility seems to be vastly
> preferable.

There doesn't seem to be any window manager setting there.

"gsettings list-recursively"

Seems to dump everything and I find nothing grepping for metacity,
compiz or the usual suspects.

> If anything can be set there to affect a window manager choice I
> have no idea.

Looks like not.

> OTOH "Classic GNOME" can be started up from gdm because there is
> a file /usr/share/xsessions/compiz-gnome.desktop and in it:
>
> Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=compiz-gnome
>
> where this 'compiz-gnome' is described by a text file
> /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/compiz-gnome.session

On Debian there is

/usr/share/xsessions/gnome-fallback.desktop

that provides "Classic GNOME".  It exec's gnome-session-fallback but
that doesn't like the "--session" argument added.

Looking at the xsession and gnome-session/sessions/ for plain gnome I
don't see what should be added.  I'm guessing this line from
gnome.session is relevant:

RequiredComponents=gnome-shell;gnome-settings-daemon;

I tried replacing "gnome-shell" with "sawfish" but then the option is
no longer presented in GDM3's login screen.

This kind of stuff is reaching MicroSoft levels of lockout.

-Brett.

---

 Darth Emacs

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.