Re: [proaudio] Thoughts about menu entries and usability

On Di, 06.02.07 14:57 Yves Cochard <yves.cochard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Yeah that's a good idea!
>
> Acutally, I use only separator to separate the seq/synth/other sound
> stuff...
>
> But I don't know how it's possible to manage the entry for the apps?
> Will they all be here by default, wheter the apps are install or not?
> (and then just remove the apps which aren't installed manually by
> ticking in the menu editor of xfce4?)

No, that would be only for apps that are actually installed. Means, only
for apps that have a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications

I'm just reading about default toplevel categories:
http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0/xdg-desktop-menu.html

And about known additional categories:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html#category-registry

So by FDO standards a menu would look like this:
	Sound & Video
	--> Audio
		--> Sequencer
		--> Mixer
		--> Midi
		--> Recorder
		--> AudioVideoEditing

Those are available standard categories, I would say this is
even specific enough. No need for extra ebuild magic \o/

The ebuild writers/maintainers just have to take care that for example
LMMS installs the .desktop file with category
	"AudioVideo;Audio;Sequencer"
and it should appear in the right place.