Re: [proaudio] Thoughts about menu entries and usability

Le Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:14:55 +0100,
Thomas Kuther <gimpel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On Di, 06.02.07 14:57 Yves Cochard <yves.cochard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Yeah that's a good idea!
> >
> > Acutally, I use only separator to separate the seq/synth/other sound
> > stuff...
> >
> > But I don't know how it's possible to manage the entry for the apps?
> > Will they all be here by default, wheter the apps are install or not?
> > (and then just remove the apps which aren't installed manually by
> > ticking in the menu editor of xfce4?)
>
> No, that would be only for apps that are actually installed. Means, only
> for apps that have a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications
>
> I'm just reading about default toplevel categories:
> http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0/xdg-desktop-menu.html
>
> And about known additional categories:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html#category-registry
>
> So by FDO standards a menu would look like this:
> 	Sound & Video
> 	--> Audio
> 		--> Sequencer
> 		--> Mixer
> 		--> Midi
> 		--> Recorder
> 		--> AudioVideoEditing
>
> Those are available standard categories, I would say this is
> even specific enough. No need for extra ebuild magic \o/
>
> The ebuild writers/maintainers just have to take care that for example
> LMMS installs the .desktop file with category
> 	"AudioVideo;Audio;Sequencer"
> and it should appear in the right place.

I will take a look at those files. Most wm support the freedesktop norm,
but it is some wm as fvwm that don't support it. Debian have a "menu" package
that take care of it for any debian supported wm. That implies at on debian, a
dev must not only provide a .desktop file but also some entries for the menu
software.

It will be great to make a program that will do it on gentoo.
--
Dominique Michel

--
N.B.: Tous les emails que je reçois sont filtrés par spamassassin avant de me
parvenir.